View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2000, 22:00 (Ref:8241)   #26
Testa Rossa
Rookie

Testa Rossa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 4CLT/48 engine is of course 1491 cc (and not 1591cc). I can’t find any clue indicating that this was changed by Speluzzi for his engine.

About the use of 4CLT/48 by the work instead of the 4CLT/50s, I can’t find any comments in by books. So there is some personnal observations :

1) The works racing in 1949 was maybe a low-key affair. The drivers choosen (Chiron’s best years were before WWII, and Rol is not in my mind a first rank driver) seems to indicate some difficulty to attract first class drivers.

2) The 4CLT/50 where I think principally “new” on paper. None of the books I consulted was pointing that the 4CLT/50 was a great improvement.

3) Maserati was maybe, as often, short of money, and thought that selling the 4CLT/50 may attracts new customers and make more money than selling a two-years old design.

4) Maserati has a long tradition of providing privaters with cars quite as good as the one used by the work, whereas Ferrari for instance would always sold you a last-year design or a botched up new one, keeping the best cars for them-self.

Testa Rossa