View Single Post
Old 29 May 2000, 23:59 (Ref:8510)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I saw the round at Silverstone this weekend, and I liked what I saw.

There were a lot of the usual suspects at the front, with some indecently quick '65 Mustangs and the inevitable Mk2 Jags, but there was some reassuringly mundane machinery playing for the sake of taking part.

Gabriel Konig (remember that name?) belting around in a Farina Austin A40, the same Renault Dauphine which had such fun at the Goodwood Revival last year, a lovely little Riley 1.5 which cornered on its doorhandles, and survived a coming together with a spinning Lotus Cortina with barely a mark, and of all things a 1955 Chevy Sedan!

It only lasted 2 laps, but it sounded fabulous, and took up a huge bit of road.

Add to the mix Gerry Marshall and Jackie Oliver taking two of the Mustangs by the scruff of the neck, and all in all a great race.

My only criticism would be that the compulsory pitstop broke up a fabulous dice between a pair of Mini Coopers, but apart from that, there's not a lot that has to be done to this format.

Quote of the week comes from an incident when an accident damaged Cortina was dissuaded from going the wrong way up pit lane...

Pitlane marshal (to flag marshal): "Not a happy bunny!"

Angry voice from retreating Cortina: "I'll give you *unprintable* happy bunny!"

[This message has been edited by TimD (edited 30 May 2000).]