View Single Post
Old 23 May 2001, 14:14 (Ref:95555)   #3
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with formula-3000net.

Once upon a time in Australia "open-wheelers" ruled but now it is all V8's (public opinion has changed). I don't think the media give enough credit to our open wheel drivers. Sure they mention that the current V8 winners came from them previously but they have made V8s the pinnacle of Australian motor sport rather than something to fall back on if the open wheel career fails, which is what it really is for some drivers. I'm sure Bright, Ambrose, Murphy, Besnard, Ingall etc. would all have continued on in open wheelers if they had the chance/cash.

I think open wheel racing is a little dead in Australia in general. It is too expensive for the media coverage that it gets. The exchange rate makes FF, F3 and F3000 cars expensive, so we get a very wide age gap between cars. I have also heard that the engines are highly strung in both F3 and F3000. We also still have 1600 carby engines in FF while Europe gets 1800 injected. Ford are supposed to be announcing the new one-make FF series for 2003 soon. I applaud Courtney for by-passing Australia and heading straight to Europe for his race car career as I believe the Oz series are dead money.

I hope that F3 makes it but I think it has to attract some real drivers before it will. As Dick Johnson would say, too many PHD kids.