View Single Post
Old 19 May 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2465323)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter View Post
A solution could be getting a driver (not contracted to any manufacturer, of course) to test the cars on the same day on the same track conditions, at the beginning of the year. They'd see more or less how the cars are different from each other, stay within a range of not more than 4 tenths and base the weights on that. The compensation weights would do the rest of the job during the year.
I know it sounds crazy, and yet...
Like GT3? That could work, I think SuperStars does this.

Part of the issue with the current weight adjustment system is that it isn't designed to work with cars that are faster in some areas but slower than others, in a more pronounced way than normal. I'm talking about the tractors here.

I'd like to see something that is a little like BTC-T, and a little like the current WRC rules. I'd go for 2 litre turbo cars (430hp, dyno tested to that limit and shared formula with rallycross, rallying and endurance racing), based on EuroNCAP class Small Family Car and Large Family Car. BTC-T/ TC2000 style wide body kit and wide track, coupled with a flat floor and low ride height to make the cars fast and spectacular. 4WD and RWD permitted along side each other, as 4WD is something that manufacturers like Subaru and Mitsubishi would want. Rear wings would be primarily cosmetic, but larger than now to make the cars look more racy as well as a good place for sponsorship.

2.0T is a popular engine size for both performance versions and performance oriented cars. A price cap on a complete car, as well as one on an engine and other key parts, would be a sensible idea.

These cars would be permitted to be detuned for national elvels, or a similar deal 280hp 2WD class with 1.6 engines could be used. That would be hatchbacks, as I would personally have great satisfaction in seeing a Renault Twingo with a bodykit beating Lancers on corners, only to be gobbled up on the straight and the process to repeat itself

Whether this is realistic in this climate is debatable.