Old 7 May 2003, 21:39 (Ref:592923)   #22
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Excuse my curiosity, but what does this involve? I'm guessing, moving the pedals over a bit?
They leave the brake pedal where it is and move the accelerator to the left of it.

There are three options - remove the original pedal completely, make it changeable with a spsnner or used hinged pedals.

We went for the last one. They fit a second accelerator to the left of the brake pedal and replace the original pedal with a hinged one. The two accelerators are mechanically linked by a cable so that when you pull one down the other folds up out of the way. They gave us a bag of bits - the original accelerator pedal, the footrest for your left foot that they'd removed, etc. Apparently it's an hour's job for a mechanic to put it all back.

I've tried driving it with the left foot pedal. It's almost impossible as it feels so wrong. Using the right foot is a bit better but not much. I can't understand how old time racing drivers could drive cars with a central accelerator and readily switch to the normal set up.