View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:30 (Ref:3897890)   #3199
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
On the history aspect it is at times like this when I get reminded of European (and other ) history.

In the current situation we have history dating back several hundred years.
Yet here is Aus we dont have any building more than just over 200 years old. Of course we have Aboriginal history going back tens of thousands of yeears but
I remember explaining to people when showed the oldest buildings in Aus and NZ that my house at the time in England was a cheap workers cottage almost 250 years old. And I only bought that because I could not afford a 'proper' old house, or for that matter a new build!

Times like this it is a stark realisation of the history in Europe I never appreciated until I got here.
I remember the time-span of history being demonstrated in the archaeological programmes such as Time Team. When digging in the UK, they typically start with heavy machinery to dig the first few feet, before going delicate.
When they are in US or Australia, they start delicate straight away because the history is so near the surface, not buried under 1,000s of years....