View Single Post
Old 22 Feb 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3371050)   #166
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a weird thought...

So... we know that the DPs in USCR are rumored to be phased out completely for 2017. IMSA is handling USCR but also the DTM America. DTM cars are basically high tech silhouette cars... could it be that IMSA be phasing the DPs out to make way for DTM American cars?

After all GM and Ford have their own "DP programs" right now. Could IMSA be funneling GM and Ford into turning their DP programs into DTM programs and that is the reasoning for pushing this DTM American plan back to 2017? 2017 is very convenient timing for American sports car racing (and yes I consider everything DTM does as sports car racing).

Cadillac is GM... so the Corvette program for DPs can be turned into a Cadillac DTM car. The one running in World Challenge I can easily see being a DTM car. It almost has the same shape already

On the ford side, they can just use a Lincoln MK-GT concept which I can also easily imagine as a DTM car

DTM:
Audi, Mercedes, BMW

Super GT:
Honda, Nissan, Lexus

DTM-A:
Lincoln and Cadillac?

BTW DTM-A needs its own name... DTM-America just sounds dumb to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is a good point. Touring car racing hasn't been that popular stateside. That is unless you consider NASCAR a touring car series, and for all intensive purposes it fills the niche that DTM does in Germany.
In my opinion DTM is barely touring car racing. It's really GT racing as how well the rules unified with Super GT kinda proves that for me. If it comes to America I don't think it'll be seen as a "touring car" series but more as a prototype silhouette GT series which the states has been known to like (Trans-Am). If billed correctly I think a DTM can succeed in America. Especially if it's used as a stage for a "world fight" against cars from the other series in a global championship. IDK maybe the top 6 teams from DTM, DTM-A, and Super GT have like a world championship themselves.

Last edited by Lizardfolk; 22 Feb 2014 at 17:35.