Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3749311)   #271
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And yet we have IMSA saying that they won't split LMP2 and DPI in the near future, which seems to be what teams like Penske and VFR want. With VFR, it's mostly buyer's remorse over the Riley Mk 30, especially in ACO spec, being a piece of junk and they want a Cadillac.

Granted, in this business, what someone says, be it a team owner, car maker, or series sanctioning body, can be quite different from what actually happens. And unless IMSA is that desperate to have Penske or HPD in DPI, or they get a glut of LMP2s, I can't see a split happening just because IMSA is willing to bend over backwards for one team.
I don't think they should split myself. The 3 class structure for 2018 should work out. Hopefully the DPI grid will get real large and allow for more all GT races too!

From a 10000 foot view of things, look at Le Mans this year. GTE was a flat out battle to the end with BoP. And it was a great race and it was interesting. LMP was a race of survival of the fittest and attrition and it was also very interesting. I like the diversity. Prototype should have NO BoP. Let them loose and have at it. Test them in speed and reliability through innovation. It may break yes, but isn't that the definition of the word 'PROTOTYPE'?

Leave BoP to GT racing. It has worked out so far as both GTLM and GT3 worldwide not just IMSA has been great. We have been in a golden age of GT racing since 2013 at least.