View Single Post
Old 23 May 2020, 23:16 (Ref:3977965)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
One thing that will emerge from Covid-19 is how ludicrously over leveraged some firms are. I generalising now, but IMO there has been to much focus on shareholder returns over cash building which means great returns for shareholders but weak resilience for the business.
I'm sure others can correct me on this, but I have long (mis?) understood the role of a director of a company in which the public have shares is to protect shareholder value above all else - in UK law, at least. This drives the companies towards dividends and bonus culture rather than storing cash, which ultimately weakens them in moments of stress.

(Apple notwithstanding, of course)