View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4140656)   #1191
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I disagree. It's still close enough to a standard saloon to me
Which bit is the same as a standard saloon?

The lightweight faux headlights and taillights? The plastic windows? The carbon-fibre body panels? The tubular chassis? The floorpan and firewall made out of flat sheet metal? The rear transaxle? The adjustable double wishbone suspension? The billet uprights?

I noticed that even WRC's tubeframe Rally1 cars still use OEM headlights and tailights, and the OEM bonnet and tailgate, though they have obviously diverged a lot from the road cars since the Group A days too.

It's almost a little bit of the same "death by a thousand cuts" where they started with World Rally Car rules similar to Project Blueprint where there were a few diversions from the road car but nothing too bad, but then more and more concessions over the years saw the cars having little to no relation to the standard saloon (like the aforementioned lightweight headlights and more & more composite panels -- originally just the front mudguards in '07 IIRC to save the work of rolling the guards, and the outer doorskin only of VE Commodore rear doors with a cut & welded standard rear doorframe).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 Jan 2023 at 15:26.