View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2937121)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Bella I think so, yes, and hope so too. Although there are now variations on the F3 theme out there (like the European Open we compete in with the latest car to a fairly set spec, Italian F3 with open chassis but spec engine, and German F3 with older cars but supposedly going with spec-engine and some sort of push-to-pass) IT IS all F3.

F3 remains a very important formula, where the driver can learn about proper driving techniques and engineering feedback skills.
thanks for the reply john.

i think the variation in options you mention is why f3 will survive. i think it's daft for most drivers to want to hop to gp3 as quickly as some of them do anyway, especially considering the fact that many of them aren't short of a bob or two. single seater racing isn't just about getting to the top as quickly as possible, each formula will teach you different stuff. i mean, i can't believe a driver would want to be learning to left foot brake in f3 for example, or still be struggling with his basic engineering english in gp3.

i think f3 still has a lot of excellent quality engineering *staff* as well, which is more than can be said for quite a few teams elsewhere. i find it difficult to believe that drivers can end up in gp3 with graduate engineers who still believe that if the spreadsheet says it's true then it must be, for example. what happened to the old school? how are you supposed to learn from someone who doesn't understand a car any more than you as a driver do?

i think cost-wise f3 needs to be between fr2.0 (probably eurocup plus national series budget), and fr3.5. cost management needs to be done from the chassis manufacturer level downwards - to recoup r&d costs for a new chassis it needs to have a 4-5 year life, and bodywork updates should only be at the most once every 2 years. i personally believe that engine maps and engines should be available to all teams and approved before the start of the season with no amendments beyond a set of options suited to certain types of circuit. there should be a set number of mechanics and engineers per car, with a limit on consultants as well. no subcontracting out engineering development either to dodge the staffing limits. pitstops and long races are nonsense, bin those off.

those rules should be universal across all "brands" of f3 as a minimum. i think the high cost ones are ruining the image of the whole series, far more so than any technical shenanigans. the fact drivers (and managers!) think it's ok to miss it out entirely is just a crime.