View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1466880)   #13
Neil1982
Racer

England
Kidderminster
Neil1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"It has been suggested to me that it is the MSA that stipulates a 40mm minimum ride height and that Monoposto have simply had to fall in with this requirement - the F3's are only allowed to run lower only run lower because they are running to FIA regulations. This may just be a smokescreen since I suspect FR run to MSA regs. not FIA."

Mark has it in one. It is not Mono rules it is Blue Book rules that stipulate 40mm. Somehow ARP and BARC FR have managed a dispensation from the MSA. In 2002 when we were competing in the British Sprint Championship the BMSA asked the MSA for a similar dispensation for the mainly F3000 over 2 litre cars. This was declined on the basis that there was 'no safety critical' reason for doing so. I have to assume therefore that someone has convinced the MSA that for ARP and BARC FR there is a safety critical issue. Interesting that for a Dallara in ARP ride could be safety critical but not in Monoposto.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that the ride height restriction came in in the late 70s early 80s to protect the circuit surfaces from the then common titanium skids.