Old 11 Apr 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2861674)   #4
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting is great

Hi Kylekosir,

Karting will in no doubt help you one big time. It's affordable, has a nice air of simplicity with a great fun factor. You can do lots of seat hours for little cost compared to cars.

However, you need to keep in mind that it is your duty to re-simulate what you learn in the kart you are training on to the car that you will actualy be racing. It sounds little technic but it is simple. Think of it. Each machine is different.

Leisure karts that I use drive (SODI Karts RX-7) very different than proper shifter karts as they are only 100% braked from the rear tyres (axels), the fronts are free rolling, thus trail braking is not possible in most of the type of corners - as the dynamics of trail braking depends on the yaw movement caused by the front end gripping - Just imagine trail braking with your car using hand brakes. It is very similar. It is possible but only in some slow-med speed open wide corners or on the other end super-tight corners.

So proper shifter karts drive more like cars / single seaters than the entry level karts. But It is all wheels, rubber and and an engine so I make a good use of it learning!!

Track days are also a great way to keep in shape, you have achance to drive the car that you will be racing. I use my road going Renault Sport Clio 182. This is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

One little humble tip; a car with supreme driving dynamics like the Clio, most Euro hot hatches, Caterhams, most Porsches, most Lotuses (like the Evora or the Two-Eleven) will impove your level. The machines teaches its master. Sounds like a Japanese cartoon thing but it is very true. Try it to belevie it.

I hope I did add something.

Cheers,
Hamad