View Single Post
Old 16 Jan 2020, 14:20 (Ref:3951943)   #23
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I wonder what the real reason for the comment was as I am not convinced it was a serious comment and there was a hidden agenda behind the whole thing. Call me cynical!
I wonder if all of this is attributable to slow news days during the racing off season. The Motorsports Magazine website is down for maintenance as I type this, so I can't go back and try to figure out how that article came to be. The MotoGP one seems to be pure speculation driven by the MM article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Actually the modern 2 stroke outboard motor is a very nice thing but two strokes in modern cars have had their day. Mazda is rumoured to be developing a hybrid using a very small constant speed rotary as a range extender which F1 might like to pick up.

One thing a two stroke is not is fuel efficient so he proposes top use a motor type that is not fuel efficient and feed it bio fuel? He lost all credibility for me with his first aero study in F1 all those years ago and basically steered F1 into the aero hole it now finds itself and he is part of the plan for the new car, how does that work?
If you look over at F1technical.net, there has been a long standing 2 stroke thread and there was speculation that this topic came up due to a research paper about new Opposing Cylinder + Gasoline Compression Ignition configuration that has significantly boosted 2 stroke efficiency. Here is the paper (which is mostly over my head)

http://achatespower.com/wp-content/u...8_API_2017.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQkTIfAB2U

It sounds like Achates Power has developed this concept (very different from classic 2 stroke designs) and are looking to sell it to someone (currently working with US Dept of Energy on some type of POC or pilot program)

With that being said, who knows if that engine layout is suitable for racing or not. I have no reason to doubt the claims of that paper, but it could be a unique solution for niche scenarios.

Richard