View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2017, 20:00 (Ref:3742308)   #4845
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I don't completely get the reduction of testing either. At least so far just a reduction, that release says "very limited number of private tests". I don't want to the races to become testing sessions. And even if there were more collective tests than now I think the overall amount of test days still drops. Private tests match better the development schedules.

There was already a rule in place where manufacturers could have only a certain amount of private tests, rest of the days were "semi-private" and had to be made made available to other teams if they wished to join (Porsche/Audi/Toyota didn't appear... ever? together though, probably due secrecy).

F1 banned private testing long time ago, and it has not returned (except in-season collective tests for 1 season), so there must be some cost saving there, but F1 also races nearly every other week, and F1 teams used to use secondary teams for testing, so it is a bit different.