View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1417402)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi
To me, driving percentages is just what a champion is supposed to do when he is in a situation just like Alonso was. Driving flat out and smashing it (as happened in Montreal) is not really the smartest thing to do if not needed.
Absolutely right! Normally, I think that the driver with most GP wins in a season should be the WDC but the points system militates against this. The fact is that Alonso capitalised on an early season advantage and then HAD to play the percentage game against a faster car. The fact that he did so successfully, and got so close to the faster car on a number of occasions suggests that not only was there more to come from him but also that he is probably every bit as good as KR and JPM. Ron Dennis is a racer; of course he is sore at the fact that neither of his drivers is WDC. I think we should put Ron's words into that context and not get carried away by them. Fernando Alonso is as worthy a champion as we have seen in many years. A few derogatory words by Ron Dennis does not change that.