Thread: Tony in trouble
View Single Post
Old 11 Aug 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3443353)   #45
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a massive Stewart fan, he and Gordon have always been my favourites. But damn... that's clearcut manslaughter in my eyes. What a shame.

To the people suggesting he accelerated (and it's clear he accelerated - it wasn't someone else off screen) to AVOID Ward? I don't buy that for second. Tony was clearly hot and ran up the track and drifted it to scare him, or maybe flick him with dirt. Plenty of us have probably done something similar on normal roads - perhaps gone very close to a cyclist that's taking up the entire road, or a car ahead that uses up the entire road to turn into a driveway, or even just driven slower to annoy a tailgater. If this was the open road and you kill a pedestrian, you're usually up for manslaughter. It doesn't matter what they were doing on the road, you should have been able to stop.

I see the other perspective though, Ward should never have run on track, almost using his body to stop Stewart. That was ridiculously stupid. I guess from here on out a lot of series will come down much harder on drivers that attempt to confront another car on track, to avoid this situation ever happening again. Two hot-headed guys caught in the moment, only one had a deadly weapon at his disposal.

To actually intentionally speed up alongside Ward, knowing by accelerating it's going to flick the car sideways, Tony really has to go up on manslaughter charges and should be found guilty.

I also think Nascar should separate themselves from Tony now. Don't pretend it didn't happen of course, it was one of their drivers and they need to treat the victims correctly and with respect, but you can't have Tony in that series anymore. Or in any racing series. As a driver or team owner. AJ lost a couple years of his career and is lucky to be back just by taking a potentially prescription ADHD drug. Tony killed someone. I bet in some fans eyes should serve time for it. How can you have him racing again in Nascar?

Tony may end up retiring from racing anyway. Sad way for one of my fav drivers to go. But even sadder for Ward.