Thread: Sauber
View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3784243)   #211
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It's all about Fiat, you do know Ferrari and Alfa Romeo are both owned by Fiat, right? (don't mean it in a patronizing manner, btw)
Actually, I thought the situation was different as of 2016.
Only going off Wikipedia information, the details given are that as part of the FIAT reorganisation, FIAT Chrysler Automobile (FCA) broke off ownership of Ferrari.

'The separation began in October 2015 with a restructuring that established Ferrari N.V. (a company incorporated in the Netherlands) as the new holding company of the Ferrari group and the subsequent sale by FCA of 10% of the shares in an IPO and concurrent listing of common shares on the New York Stock Exchange. Through the remaining steps of the separation, FCA's interest in Ferrari's business was distributed to shareholders of FCA, with 10% continuing to be owned by Piero Ferrari. The spin-off was completed on 3 January 2016.'

I understand that Marchione is the CEO of both Ferrari and FCA, and that there may be a lot of common shareholders, but legally they are two separate companies with entirely different ownership.

How that affects the topic of this thread, I am unsure. I would imagine though that owners of FCA shares (and subsequently those with a stake in Alfa-Romeo-Sauber) are not by default automatically concerned with Ferrari's own performance.
Alfa-Romeo-Sauber may however be Marchione's foothold in F1 though if he goes ahead with the threat to take Ferrari elsewhere. And as a title sponsor, without actually supplying much in the way of components, it makes sense for Alfa-Romeo.