View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2018, 22:40 (Ref:3791858)   #1196
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would also say that is an odd solution. Given they already superimpose ads and other data into the world feed (i.e. virtual trackside placards that are in sync with panning and zooming of cameras), if teams wanted to sell ad space on the halo or elsewhere on the car in a way that is not easily viewable trackside, but viewable via in-car camera, then they could also easily use the same technology and likely create a better end result. If you wanted to get fancy, they could even have different content shown for different parts of the world (world feed would have to be processed for each geo location).
just to clarify, in the same way that ads are superimposed on TV for the trackside billboards, are you suggesting that instead of fitting a screen, lights, batteries etc to the halo you could instead just use this already in place technology to superimpose images onto the halo surface in the TV production room?

i want to say this tech is pretty standard nowdays. f1 uses it, hockey/NHL uses it to change the ads on is boards (and does so to maximize ad revenue from the different regions/markets it is broadcast to), im sure we will see a lot of it during the Olympics and i would think many other sports are doing it for TV as well.

so staying on topic, if that was what you were getting at, then as you suggest, this seems a much simpler solution.

avoids a problem of adding weight to the halo/no one messing around with a device that is there for safety reasons.

probably some issue with who gets to choose the adverts and does the revenue belong to the team because its their space or does it belong to FOM who are doing the superimposing via their video production of the race....either way they could just negotiate how the payments would work and what types of adverts are acceptable.