View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3681642)   #56
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We expect TC1 to stay for at least 10 years" (c)

Well..

All can I say is that I'm sure that these news mean
a) There no more manufacturers interested in building TC1 cars = no new factory teams
b) Interest in the championship must be decreasing, and it seems that Eurosport (probably Discovery) is not satisfied with WTCC's performance, and want to do something radical

Ok, so this move has some benefits - such fast cars will always attract more global fans (like F1 lovers) than classic touring cars. It will probably atract more premium brands and significantly raise the level of the championship. After all, it's always going to be more attractive to watch BMW-Lexus battle rather than Honda-Lada one.

BUT. There are so many potential problems
a) These are not touring cars. Say goodbye to good racing and welcome DTM.
b) Cost. As pimmy said German manufacturers want to decrease costs. And global championship means more travelling costs, cars won't become cheaper.
c) Who is going to participate? Not a single privateer will afford spending so much money so it only depends on the manufacturers. And why should Marcedes-Audi-BMW leave DTM to participate in a world championship - do they have budget for that? It will work only if DTM and SuperGT are now working with FIA and Eurosport on this matter because such championship might mean death to DTM and SuperGT (or vice versa)
For example, 4 works cars from 6 manufacturers would work pretty fine. But it's not realistic
d) What is going to happen to current manufaturers? I just imagine how impressed is Volvo with these news. Lada will never build a Class 1 car, I think Volvo won't do it either.

All in all, all of sudden death of WTCC in the near future is becoming a reality.