View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2018, 19:29 (Ref:3869501)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Given some manufacturers wanted to promote GTE as the top class instead of hypercars, it made me wonder how much faster could you realistically make GTE cars (without spending prototype $$$).

How fast could they get if you wanted to do it?
I guess how much faster depends on the track.

I think all of the current GTE cars carry ballast, so removing that could gain time. I think they are also all restricted on the engine in some way - either through sonic restrictors or limits on boost, so that could be removed as well. And finally, you could give them all Carbon brakes which would improve speeds braking distance.

I think those things would all be pretty cheap to do for teams, but I'm sure all those things would lead to costs I'm not accounting for.

It would be fun to see a team do these types of things and do a few test sessions like the 919 Farewell Tour.