View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3872264)   #1
Eyebrows
Rookie

Eyebrows should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking to rally Volvo 66 - appendixes and homologation papers

Happy Christmas season everyone,

New here and new to historic rallying. I've worked as race support for a few classic and vintage cars in the past but never raced or setup from scratch my own car so looking for advice on all the paperwork and where to start.

I'm about to take ownership of a Volvo 66DL left hand drive. I'd really like to rally it in special stages (anything loose surfaces which is where these cars shine). I was looking at maybe doing a couple of stages of the British historic rally championship and maybe potentially in the future be competitive but that won't be for a while. Are there any other rallies I should be looking at?

Anyway, I was looking at preparing the car, it's the same car as the DAF 66 but under a Volvo badge. The MSA regs for the event say the car must conform to R49 and their homologation. There is one homologation paper for this car however its group 1 (so very few modifications) but it's for the 1.3 litre model, mine is the 1.1 litre. There are also a few more homologation forms for the DAF 66 both 1.1 & 1.3 litres, group 1&2 and with modifications to the engine and other parts. Basically I know very little on how these forms work, what do they do? Can I do any modifications from any form? Is my car even compatible with them as it's technically a slightly different model (the only real differences being the front grill and the engine capacity). Carburettor wise, am I allowed to use any period carb (like a pair of Weber 40s rather than the original single solex?).

Within R49 I have to conform to appendix J, so there comes another question on whether I conform to appendix k or j? I only ask as I've just had light shed on appendix k as a separate category and no idea if it's a better option.

Basically as you can see I'm very confused on the whole matter and would love some help on where to go with it all! Should I possibly look for a different chassis (there's a chance I may be able to get hold of a DAF marathon which the homologation papers would apply to exactly and has more racing history). Or would there be no point doing this?

I would also like to do other events in the future so no idea what to work towards. Whether this is a good starting point or whether I'm better off looking for a 1300 model?

I hope someone can help shed some light on all this for me please. Sorry for long and confused sounding post I'm afraid I am just that - confused where to start!

Merry Christmas all