Thread: Rules 2026 Power Units
View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2021, 12:09 (Ref:4060102)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Horner commenting on the 2025+ power unit

Quote:
Red Bull boss Christian Horner says that Formula 1’s new 2025 engine needs to be loud and "entertaining" for fans, otherwise teams may as well go and do Formula E.
Quote:
Horner thinks that F1 has a golden opportunity to do a much better job with these engine rules than it managed with the current turbo hybrids, which have proved to be expensive, complicated and criticised for being too quiet.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...er-fe/6626566/

I suspect Horner is trying to kill multiple birds with one stone here. First of all, most of the fans would agree with him. Second, while the Honda power unit is highly efficient, and no doubt Red Bull Powertrains has hired a number of knowledgeable staff, they have inherited a solution designed by someone else. So they should have worries about successfully converting that baseline into a new design for 2025 AND keeping the magic that makes the Honda either #1 or #2 in the current pecking order.

So RB would like to NOT participate in a new ICE efficiency war. More sound means less energy converted into power. Which ultimately might mean a purposefully LESS efficient ICE component. Might the 2025 regulations cap ICE efficiency and focus development on hybrid power utilization?

Richard