Thread: Rules 2026 Power Units
View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4060825)   #44
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I appreciate the simplicity of looking for an off the shelf solution. But I expect that it's not as easy as you say. Weight, size, stressed member, g-load oiling issues, etc. Lastly, "bespoke" doesn't have to be the same as overly expensive. And a stock block developed to support F1 requirements (if even possible) is pretty much a "bespoke" solution when you are done.

Richard
Weight is not an issue, all the motors will weigh the same and if all the extraneous crap on the present motors is removed it will be a wash I would think. Most high performance road motors are dry sumped or can be very easily so lubrication is not a problem either. A dry sumped V8 will not cost anywhere near a million dollars EACH to develop or buy, they could blow up quite a number before they got anywhere near a million dollars. The only legitimate difficulty I can see is the stressed member problem that F1 has been using since Colin Chapman introduced with the venerable DFV all those years ago.