Thread: Rules 2026 Power Units
View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2021, 16:02 (Ref:4060846)   #46
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Weight is not an issue, all the motors will weigh the same and if all the extraneous crap on the present motors is removed it will be a wash I would think.
How would they all weigh the same unless you are saying to use a spec motor?

Quote:
Most high performance road motors are dry sumped or can be very easily so lubrication is not a problem either.
So you are telling me that these stock block motors (and scavenge pump locations, etc) have been tested for the g-loads that F1 uses? I don't think so. They WOULD all require significant work.

So I am giving you a hard time above, to make my point that your earlier quote...
Quote:
Any kid can get a 1000hp out of any semi decent street motor without a huge spend.
... is a great throw away quote, but is also an extreme and unrealistic expectation.

I don't know much about NASCAR, but it generally advertises itself as using engines that are rooted in "stock" or "production" motors. In reality, I think a manufacture provides an iron block that fits specific requirements from NASCAR and those dimensions may be rooted in some old production block from decades ago, but make no mistake, those are bespoke blocks that the team then perform their own massive surgery upon (within the rules) to extract what they can from them.

Quote:
A dry sumped V8 will not cost anywhere near a million dollars EACH to develop or buy, they could blow up quite a number before they got anywhere near a million dollars. The only legitimate difficulty I can see is the stressed member problem that F1 has been using since Colin Chapman introduced with the venerable DFV all those years ago.
But here you are getting into what I think is reality. DFV was a bespoke engine and it was not expensive. You have a number of examples in use today that are also clearly bespoke race engines that are used at top levels, but would be affordable for teams to use.

Gibson for example has a homologated 4.2L V8 that is used in the LMP2 cars. It has the basics like stressed member, designed for racing loads, etc. I think these are actually leased, so I don't know what the price is, but privateer LMP2 teams are making this work from a financial perspective.

https://www.gibsontech.co.uk/engines/gk428-engine

So, I am not saying to use the Gibson (or similar) "as is" for F1. But I am saying that there is a middle ground between "stock block based engines" and "current F1 excesses" that are true race engines AND affordable. Would they be state of the art as we know it today? No, but the point we are making is that they should not be cutting edge. Especially as "cutting edge" these days is no longer really about ICE and is moving to something else. But if F1 "wanted" to move in this direct it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yes, I never claimed it would? The 2025 regs have basically been decided, it's just details that need fleshed out. My entire series of posts was not a "this is going to happen" setup - it is "this is what should happen for the good of the sport" setup.
I think this is true. It's mostly a done deal, but it could be something else if they wanted.

Richard