View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2014, 01:40 (Ref:3429709)   #1255
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I agree completely! Open up the rules, let them bring creative solutions. I love innovation. However, it is unfortunate that people do label things that are clearly outside of the rules as innovation. It really hurts the cause.

Richard
But it's not clearly outside of the rules. "Movement" in the context of movable aerodynamic devices, and deflection of those devices are different things. Movement because of an action of the driver or some sort of control system on the car are not allowed. Defection, within the limits specified by the rules and the tests they define, is not.

The unfortunate thing is that the rules have gotten so restrictive that it's necessary to excessively lawyer this sort of stuff to find any sort of edge on the competition. In the current situation, the design types like me and others here get great pleasure when a team has successfully played on the very edge of the rules on something like this. Still, I think any designer would much rather see more open rules that can let the teams' designers really do their thing.

People would be amazed at the creative stuff they would come up with!