View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2014, 03:37 (Ref:3429741)   #1262
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
However my point stands. There first is the very general rule that stands alone. The part you mention is not an exception to the first rule. You can't read it as "moveable bodywork is allowed as long as it is NOT controlled by some type of system". There is a series of additional rules (including banning of blown diffuser that follows that primary sentence about moveable bodywork.
I think all of your points are fair, but this is the area our disagreement revolves around. Your point is any bodywork which moves violates the rules. I contend all bodywork moves on all the cars. It has to. Any structure depends on deflection to stress the material to pick up the load. No material known to man is infinitely stiff. So, the rules specify tests that limit the deflection under the scenario described in the the test. The Toyota team did an extraordinary job of designing something that passed the tests, then when on the track, did exactly what the rules were trying to prevent. The fault is with the rules, not Toyota.

But, all of this is really symptomatic of the illness infecting the sport the last couple decades where the rules try to over-restrict everything to the point it takes extraordinary effort to find an advantage.

Just give them some safety rules, limit the fuel (to control the speeds), drop the green flag, and see what happens.