View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2020, 10:01 (Ref:4001832)   #318
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
didnt Bottas have an issue at that same final corner a lap or two later?

forgetting about prior seasons, we have seen LH make more of his tires then Bottas this year...what would indicate that LH coulndt likewise do more with an overstressed engine then Bottas?

already we have seen LH ask to do more with a potentially suspect merc engine (wiring issues early on this season) and do more with dying tires. heck LH may even be faster then VB on 3 wheels.

again each their own, but i think if both had more beef (great way to describe it btw), LH, maybe just by virtue of having more experience, is the safer pair of hands to bring the car home.

'setup' didnt stop Leclerc from surpassing his world titled team mate who had been at the team longer and also presumably had far more input in their cars design and set up. overcoming those issues is what top level talent is supposed to do.

anyways, i think the setup argument is mainly used to prop up the 2nd driver.

moot point anyways as i dont think i have ever heard setup being the reason Bottas is slower.

falling short of a driver who has 89 wins is not diminishing Bottas imo and his contract is relatively minor compared to LH because the more talented athlete is typically the one who gets paid more.

is he there because he is reliable and knows how to play 2nd fiddle...probably but im not sure any would pick Bottas to be a lead driver over Max or Leclerc either. or if we could pick any team mate for LH while being assured that team mate could challenge LH openly would Bottas be the first choice?

not directed at you but a general observation, but much like the schumi years, there is this narrative (as seen by the still ongoing team orders greatest hits debate) that the dominating team somehow and for some inexplicable reason picked the less talented driver to lead their team.

without Schumi or Ham, their team mates would most likely not have had the dominating car in the first place.

Barri got beaten by Button and Bottas, who by virtue of being younger, will more likely have other future team mates for us to compare against. time will tell if he has been underrated or shortchanged.
I wasn't talking about set up. I was talking about hardware of the car that you can't easily change (or at all). That would contribute to Bottas chewing his tyres up all the time.

I'd make a statement by saying that MB (car and team) is designed around Hamilton winning and Bottas running 2nd. With a 1-2 in that order, MB are satisfied and move onto the next race.

If a 1-2 occurred the other way. MB might still be satisfied, but I presume would enquire as to why Hamilton didn't win, when they wouldn't in the scenario above.

I don't think MB go into races intending to give Bottas 100% support to win.