View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4187794)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just my gut, without raking over the whole season or revisiting any of the stats.: -

1. Verstappen. Rarely put under any pressure. Amazing RBR DRS meant that when he was out of position, that passes were often easy. But he barely put a foot wrong all year long and is blisteringly quick and consistent.

2. Alonso. At the early part of the season he was getting some amazing results. The team almost certainly lost out in the development race and the results faded, but when there was a chance of a good result he seemed to take it. Always good to watch wheel to wheel.

3. Hamilton. Some clumsy wheel-to-wheel accidents have crept in. But his status as #1 Mercedes driver is back (if indeed he ever lost it).

4. Norris. A really good season. The upgraded McLaren allowed us to see the best of him. The odd blemish here and there, and his teammate seemed to be close or indeed sometimes faster in qualy, but on race day Norris was usually the #1 driver in the team. That first win surely is not far away.

5. LeClerc. Sainz may have rediscovered his form, but I personally rate LeClerc slightly higher. The Ferrari did not have the race pace to match the often amazing qualifying pace of LeClerc.

6. Sainz. As above - rediscovered his Mojo. A good season. Race win again.

7. Piastri. Very impressive rookie season. Sprint race winner. Often up at the sharp end. Could be the real deal. I am looking forward to seeing what he can do next season.

8. Albon. Williams is no longer the worst car on the grid. But nevertheless he often seemed to outqualify the car. A really solid season.

9. Russell. Matched Hamilton in qualy, but perhaps did not maximise the potential of the car in the races. Not as consistent as last year.

10. Perez. Started brilliantly. But many self-inflicted mistakes towards the mid and latter part of the year. Disappointing really, but ranked highly here for securing 2nd in the championship, often by doing things the hard way. Demonstrated in the wrong way why F1 is not just about the car.

= 11. Gasly / Ocon. I cant separate them. Both blew hot and cold. Both could deliver race wins if they were in the right car, and the Alpine was not that car.

13. Hulkenburg. Quick driver, as demonstrated by some of his qualifying performances. The Haas was never a potent weapon in race trim, so did not catch the eye very often on Sundays.

14. Magnussen. As above.

15. Bottas. The car slipped backwards down the order as the season went on. That makes it hard to rate him very highly. Beat his teammate.

16. Stroll. Had some good days, but usually annihilated by his teammate.

17. Tsunoda. Perhaps I am being harsh and perhaps he should be a little higher as evidenced by his good run in the final race. But not enough eye catching stuff other than that in a pretty average car.

18. Zhou. I might not have noticed if he did not turn up. Not his fault that the car was not very good, but nothing much to get the pulse running.

19. Ricciardo. Not enough races to really tell. Does not deserve a RBR seat, but I would like it if he could get back to the level he was in the past.

20. Sargeant. Not great. Had a couple of decent races, so maybe better days are still to come. Crashed too much.

I didn't rank Lawson - who I think did enough to deserves a seat in F1 at some point.