Thread: 2018 DTM
View Single Post
Old 21 May 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3823801)   #115
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
It'd be a bitter irony if the plug on DTM was pulled, just as the series starts to finally provide some decent racing on the track.

The problem is indeed that the DTM cars are pure race cars that don't provide anything in terms of adaptability of technology to road cars nor are they in any way similar to cars sold in dealerships. I presume if DTM for example went full electric, then there would be a decent amount of manufacturers interest. But Gerhard Berger has already expressed his dislike of electric racing, plus there's the risk that the DTM may alienate the remaining audience they have - TV numbers have fallen drastically compared to last year.

In my opinion, Berger should try to win over more private teams to the series. Obviously the costs of running a full season need to be lowered even more - less requirements on employees, hospitality and so on. At the very least, the cost of a DTM car has to be lowered to the levels of a GT3 car, which in my opinion can be done. To me, GT3 and DTM aren't that far off from each other, at least in terms of technology and looks. Still I'm convinced that there are some GT teams in Germany and Central Europe that want to compete in a more professional enviroment than GT racing. Even though DTM has had some sort of decline over the past years, it is still a well-known marque among racing fans and even some casuals - in Germany at least. So it might be easier to convince sponsors to invest in DTM than in some GT series. Of course the DTM needs to have a safe future, which it hasn't and which was the reason for companies like BWT or Red Bull withdrawing their sponsorship from the series.

So where does that leave BMW and Audi? Berger has already talked to both about the possibility of selling their equipment to private teams, which they were open towards. So BMW and Audi may very well withdraw financial assistance to their current works teams, but may still sell cars, as well as provide some technical assistance as well as works drivers. We've had DTM with only two manufacturers before and it was really boring, but only because we really had only two teams competing against each other. But if every teams stood on their own, it'd make for a more exciting product on the track. IndyCar has gotten along very well for the last couple of years and it's only been Honda vs. Chevy for years. So if DTM wants to survive, it needs to make into an IndyCar-like direction, namely to create an enviroment that stregthens the teams itself.
I totally agree. DTM cars should be not as expensive and then I'm sure many German (and not only) teams as well as sponsors would be willing to join DTM.
The example you gave with IndyCar is also relevant, the same was with Supercars when only Holden and Ford contested. It was a fierce battle between both manufacturers (an iconic 'tribe vs tribe' battle) but the emphasis was on teams and no one cared if factory Holden Racing Team is winning or losing with customer Holden teams etc. There were no team orders, politics and so on. Such a concept of DTM would be feasible even with two manufacturers.

It's written in such a chaotic manner that I don't understand. So is finally World Class 1 Championship going to happen or not? Will it be 'part' of DTM or not?