View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2017, 20:02 (Ref:3780448)   #5230
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If we're just doing BoP, then just do DPi. DPi is great. The only reason I don't want it for LMP1 is because all it is is prettied up LMP2s with a BoP. So if we're going down the route of BoP and artificially good looking cars, then don't reinvent the wheel - just use DPi. It already works.

I'd rather have an actual performance class as LMP1 then LMP2s in drag. But if that's the route we're going, then I don't see the point in not using DPi.
The problem with DPi is that manufacturers aren't quite as interested in it as IMSA, and certain journalists, would have us believe.

Yes, there's been a lot of talk of manufacturers evaluating programs, but program evaluations ultimately mean nothing - any manufacturer with a motorsport program will evaluate ANY class that has even the remotest possibility of fitting their program goals. If evaluations meant anything, the sheer number of DPi evaluations would have generated at least two more programs than we've gotten.

Combine that with the impending 2020 rules revamps, and unless we get an announcement within the next couple weeks(allowing for the sort of timeframe the ESM program had) I don't think we'll be seeing any more manufacturers in DPi.

IMO, the issue that keeps a lot of manufacturers from committing to DPi is that a pretty big chunk of them want to build their own cars, not just do engine and limited aero work - but they don't want building their own car to cost P1-H prices. I can see how a spec tub where they build the entire rest of the car can be appealing, especially if the tub design allows for them to go for road car styling OR pure prototype.

I think there'd be a fair few manufacturers in LMP1-L if they were allowed in that class.