View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3836747)   #77
Londoner
Racer

Londoner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
F1/GP Rejects did that to F1 Drivers and still does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just because it happens, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Struggling to see the appeal of being negative in regards to a championship where most (if not all) of the drivers have to find the funds for their seat?

If they were getting paid to drive, then it might be different matter. BTCC is not F1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I agree with the sentiment; taking aim at those who tried and ultimately failed isn't a good or nice thing.
As a long-term poster on GP Rejects, I can categorically state that the above is simply not the case. The whole purpose of F1 Rejects (and indeed GP Rejects) was to shine a light on the plucky backmarkers, to tell stories that may otherwise remain untold.

The numerous driver and team profiles (which sadly went when the original site closed down in 2014) were always written from a respectful stance. I mean, if you took a cursory look at Alex Zanardi;s or Smokin' Jo Winkelhock's F1 results on Wikipedia, you'd come to the uninformed opinion that they were pretty crap F1 drivers. Their profiles were intended to show that actually they were great drivers, simply hampered by bad luck or poor machinery when they reached the pinnacle of motorsport.

Witness our celebrations when Jules Bianchi dragged that awful Marussia into the points in 2014, or when Pastor Maldonado of all people won the Spanish GP in 2012 (and also all the shade we threw at McLaren for throwing away an easy win by putting enough fuel in Hamilton's car )

If anything, it's underperforming top drivers that come in for the most stick on our forums and I think we can all agree that such criticism is deserved.

Hope that clears up some of the misconceptions on this thread.