Thread: Danica Patrick
View Single Post
Old 22 Apr 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1591626)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jinxx
The "weight advantage" is real.

I only recently realised that the car's are all the same weight, so if you have a light driver, you have an advantage. In Europe/UK there is a minimum *combined* weight, so a light driver has to add a load of lead ballast to the car to bring the total weight up to the minimum.. The only advantage this has is the siting and positioning of the lead (i.e. at floor level, and front/rear to change the basic weight distribution of the car) but in practice this makes virtually no diffierence.

Where the Danica lightweight thing works is in qualifying. With such a huge weight diference between Danica and almost every other driver, she will get a qualifying boost. So you can expect her to qualify beyond what might normally be her abilities.
Yep, I think it's alot better in F1 and all other series that I know of in Europe, the drivers weight counts in the minium fixed weight limit so everyone weighs the same. I have to carry alot of lead in karting as I've moved up to seniors and this may only be karting when it's totaly different but the ballast can work for and against you.....But really it's totaly different racing so I guess it's not really relevant.

I personally think they should bring in a minium weight limit and so the drivers weight is included and not just added on to the car weight so there isn't any unfair advantages and hers is quite a big one. It's the same as touring car drivers just winning a race, then having to put on 50kg of ballast and then struggling in the next race which I believe is what she is is off most of the drivers, so you can see that there is an advantage and I can see why certain drivers are annoyed....that's my opinion on this....

But she is a good driver, and it's good what she's doing for female fans, Kathrine Legge is already attracting many female fans at Champ Car, imagine how many Danica has brought over 2005 especially at the 500 which she could have won....

Last edited by luke; 22 Apr 2006 at 09:28.