View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3683576)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I don't understand the fascination with top speed - maybe it's the "Top Gear" affect, where supercars are judged on their top speed.

As a paying spectator, I'd much rather see cars delivering their performance around the bits I can see, rather than the bits I can't.

I watched the 1999 Le Mans review for the first time in years and years last week, and it wasn't anywhere near as good as I remember it, and it's because most of the cars look pretty slow around the corners in comparison to now - it almost looked like they were trying to park on the Mulsanne chicane.

Obviously, those fire-breathing monsters were spectacular at the time and I'd still pay a lot of money to see them in historics. But I'm not really sure how just because the GT cars of the 1990s were a bit faster for the last 10% of the Mulsanne straight, they were somehow better to watch.
100% agree with this. Watching even back to 2011 (Truth in 24 II), the lack of apparent urgency from the cars with the relatively slow acceleration really surprised me. Going back to the 2000s (especially 2005, with GT1s outdragging the Audi R8) and 90s really hurts. The current cars are just amazing.