View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2016, 04:32 (Ref:3683768)   #43
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...-new-lmp2-car/

Quote:
“The BR01 is the first real new LMP2 car,” Catone said. “From the beginning, the project was focused on LMP2. Today we’re at 900 kg. We can’t go to LMP1-L with the same car as that should be 800 kg.

“We could redo the monocoque with zylon to save 20 or 30 kg but this is an investment in itself. I asked the customer at the beginning of the project. If we had to do both, it would be very expensive and not necessarily optimized for the other.
There's no reason for the tub to be more advanced in terms of weight savings when it's cost ineffective to do so for a 930kg cost cap customer car (for the most part the tub is good weight anyways, it's central and fairly low).

ORECA is an adapted P1 car, I actually believe that looking at the changes from the 05 to the 07. Where that goes depends on Rebellion though.
Ligier was started as a P1 project but the car was properly redesigned for LMP2 so it's no guarantee they didn't change the tub materials to lower the cost. The 2017 car has a new tub though, which you can take a couple ways I guess.
Dome also started as a P1 and this being Dome I'll believe it's probably been made to P1 spec. That one depends on Strakka, obviously.
ByLodess is definitely struggling just to reach 830kg.
ARX-04 was in theory meant for both classes but it debuted well overweight in LMP2. That's been fixed but getting it down to 800kg might be wishful thinking.

No reason to believe the Dallara or Multimatic Riley will be designed with anything but 930kg in mind.