View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3683798)   #48
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Since the Gibson V8 is a purpose built racing engine and the Nissan is a (albeit heavily modified) stock block engine, I'd assume that the Gibson would have the edge on weight. However, the Nissan is an old Super GT GT500 engine and is about as heavily modified as a stock block engine can get while still being a stock block engine. Also, the Gibson V8 is a spec engine and is probably built leaning towards durability vs outright power. But I can't see it being much heavier, if at all, than their 4.5 LMP1 V8.

EDIT: The 4.2 V8 seems to be quite a bit heavier than their old 4.5 V8. Gibson claims that the 4.5 weighed about 120kg. The 4.2 is about 20kg heavier. That also makes me think that the LMP2 engine is a different design than the other Gibson/Zytek V8s, which are closely related to each other. Also, the Gibson/Nissan VK45 weights 150kg per their website.

Last edited by chernaudi; 29 Oct 2016 at 10:03.