View Single Post
Old 15 May 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3822627)   #5606
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I agree the price is too high right now. But we'll see. If someone like Aston Martin wants to do both, they may just use the same engine. F1 uses a lot more engines per year than the WEC ever will. It's not just because of the shorter running but because they fail and that's inevitable. So you have to factor in the price of the 21, 22 weekends, spares, support, upgrades etc. The WEC has 6 or 7 weekends and the test day + Le Mans week which is a lot lower even if it has longer run-time. If I were an F1 engine manufacturer that wanted in the Le Mans scene, I would offer a slightly revised engine based on the future F1 unit and lease/sell it at a lesser price. They won't have to worry about the latest upgrades or brand new engines every year if the Super Season format stays in place. And from what the talk is, part of the reduced price comes in the form of not having to worry about the extreme upgrade nature that F1 has. So you could make your engine purchase/lease and not have to worry about it being out of date a few months or even a year or two from now.

Haven't seen this posted, but more from Todt on manufacturers in 'GTP' https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...20-21-1037904/