View Single Post
Old 15 Mar 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1252820)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL & CHAMP CAR Should They Merge?

My opinion about IRL is this, since the split I had not watched one IRL race since this season’s home opener because i'm really getting back into racing hardcore not just Formula 1 like the last 9 years. After watching IRL I did enjoy the race and it was a lot of fun but what the true form of American Open Wheel racing should be is about Mixture of Half Ovals and Half Road Course and Street Circuits. It should capture every type of course an open wheel race car can race on to give its fans something different and exciting to watch. Formula 1 can no longer race on Street Circuits and why they race at Manioc is strictly for tradition and the money. IRL and Champ Car have a chance to unite and give us the people of North America and the rest of the world a formula worth watching with cool street circuits and exciting ovals. I love street circuits and road courses and I also love ovals and I think putting everything together like it was before 1996 when the split happened is the only way the two series will ever survive. People miss the Grand Prix of Long Beach, Detroit, Toronto, and so on. To win such a series with a huge variety of tracks takes a lot of talent and I think the champions of the sport would get a lot of respect unlike they do now. I will watch IRL and Champ Car this season. I watched the Champ Car series last year and I thought it was awesome. Sebastien Bourdia is like my favorite driver now and I’m American and he is French, so I don’t think Americans will no watch is European, Canadian and Latin drivers are in there sport so long as there talented. That’s all we want to see is talented drivers. Half the guys in IRL are Brazilian anyway aren’t they? LoL seriously though I’m sure if the two leagues combined plenty of the American drivers would be able to compete because I think they have the talent. I haven’t met anyone in person here in Detroit or in Canada who doesn’t think that the split between the two leagues is the worse thing that ever happened in America Motor Sports. I know a lot of you are Oval fanatics and that’s all you want to watch but can you kind of get the idea I’m trying to get across to you. I mean your still going to see 8 to 9 oval races a year especially all the big ones. I sure you could survive 7 or 8 street circuits with a lot of American history behind them or couple of road courses. I don’t know let me know what you all think.

I grew up watching Formula 1 as young kid and in 1989 started watching Indy Car racing and loved and fell in love with it as it got bigger and bigger and more exciting every year. I would go and watch the race in detroit in bell ile and even got to watch Alex Zanardi win a race and do his dounuts all around the track right in front of me. I also got to watch Greg Moore race before he died and when Champ Car Split it really ****ed me off and i gave it up till last year when i started watching champ car again. This is why im posting this, its alot of pent up frustration thats built up over the years and with Formula 1 and the GPWC talking about spliting my anger has really surfaced. Let me know what you think guys