View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2023, 13:14 (Ref:4143375)   #298
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand the gradings, but how can someone like Christina Nielsen be a bronze last year despite being a multiple IMSA champion, yet Porteiro is a silver despite being a decade older and not having really raced since 2012?

I'm not saying Nielsen shouldn't be a bronze necessarily, but how is Porteiro not a bronze? The guy's 40 and hasn't raced for 10 years.
I think it boils down to a couple of factors. For him to be a bronze now, you'd imagine when he was racing regularly he'd need to have been a silver, in theory. You could argue he'd be on gold level back in 2012 but I'm not an expert in his career.

Then I think you look at the amateur aspect of bronzes. He's been a racing driver (GP2, WTCC) - he runs a driving school now. He's been involved with teams on the grid. I believe he's also had some recent P2 seat time so he's not a bronze IMO. Being 40 this year also isn't exactly a barrier when you consider there's a guy older than him in F1.