View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3841483)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Phew, these sprint races are too stressful- going to stick to endurance stuff in future

The BDC Sports Car Challenge race I was entered in had two races within the race. The main body of cars were in the ‘Techniques Trophy’, which is for 4 cylinder Morgans of any vintage, running on 70% profile tyres or Ls. So from Leigh Sebba’s 1953 +4 this time to brand new 2018 factory built ‘Club Sports’. Non Morgans in the ‘Classic Challenge’ included John Andon’s TR4, a TR3A, David Cottingham’s gorgeous AC Ace Bristol (also doing the FISCAR race), MGAs and a B. 27 cars entered, down to 24 by qualifying, and 22 for the race. (Some of the Morgans also doing and failing in the Morgan Challenge races...)

I qualified 7th in the ‘Spa 6hrs’ FIA spec 1960 +4 SuperSports ‘evocation’ (the body having been changed to the low line version during restoration years ago), happy to be ahead of the other FIA cars, but frustrated to be pipped by the TR4. With the race utilising a standing start, that introduced a challenge almost forgotten nowadays......

With an extra green flag lap due to a delay after the first- some cars in the wrong grid positions being the problem- the super speedy light sequence almost caught the whole field napping. I managed a so-so getaway, but better than many, and by Copse was well ahead of the TR4 and right behind 5 Morgans, including two 2018 ClubSports, pole man Tim Parsons in a very quick 2009 4/4, and James Sumner’s 1972 4/4 fitted with a modern Ford 16 valve engine. For the next few laps I had a great race with the 2 ClubSports, eventually getting past them both, but not pulling away. One then spun exiting Luffield, which took some pressure off, but the other hung onto my tail for the rest of the race, forcing me to take defensive line in one or two places. Lapping slower cars was also a challenge......

Final result, P4 in TT and main race, with the first CC car home being the TR4 in 7th. Fantastic fun, so huge thanks to Simon for trusting me with his +4. Was great to beat a lot of modern cars! The entertainment value apparently provided by my battle with the two ClubSports resulted in getting ‘Driver of the Race’ award- and it’s drinkable!

A lovely relaxed meeting- the complete opposite of the recent Classic! I enjoy them both, especially with good weather.... And it was nice to bump into tenthers Louise and Jason Kennedy, racing their Aurelia!