Thread: IMSA IMSA : 2019
View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3769031)   #43
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think that was largely due to the old DPs still being out there, and rather than have two totally different tires in the P class, they just made the LMP2s run the DP tires.

Then, with the contract being up for grabs, it wouldn't make sense for Conti to make a substantial investment to "catch up" to WEC LMP2, at least not until they had the new contract. Since they don't, I imagine we'll see the status quo until Michelin takes over.

Come 2019, it doesn't make sense for Michelin to design and build an all-new, de-spec'd tire when they, at the least, have a ready-made tire for the type of car.
Supposedly, the P class tires from Continental we're all new for this season. I remember seeing some press about it before the season started, and the Taylor team was a big part of the tire testing program preseason.