View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2017, 01:14 (Ref:3769502)   #28
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Point is that DPIs should be somewhat faster than the old IMSA spec LMP2s. Consider that ACO spec LMP2s on ACO spec rubber are running times at Le Mans similar to 2011 LMP1s and that in testing this year the fastest times at Sebring during a Dunlop tire test would've put those cars into the top 5 overall for Sebring in 2012.

Mind you, by the same token, if you put modern tires on say a LMP900 or first generation LMP1, they could be nearly as fast as modern LMP1s.

I know that the point of DPI isn't to break records set by LMP1 or LMP2 cars of a few years ago, but they can easily be faster than they are now if not for some micromanaged BOP and especially spec tires.

It goes back to the debates on cars being artificially slowed down from what they're capable of. Understandable from a safety aspect as we don't want classic circuits being butchered more than they've already been and we're tired of seeing what FIA Grade 1 tracks turn into.

But still, a little more speed (especially separation between classes) is a good thing.

Though if I'm honest, I think that ACO spec LMP1s and LMP2s are a bit too fast for their own good. I also feel the same way with GTE/GTLM cars running GT1 times that were set a decade ago, too. I don't think that taking a handful of seconds a lap out of those cars, especially around Le Mans, would necessarily be a bad thing.