Thread: Morris Special
View Single Post
Old 19 May 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1614301)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never heard of him, but I was bored and did a quick Google. Sounds interesting. This was from an Australian website ww.moreg.org.au.

Some interesting one-off specials were made from time to time on the Morris Eight chassis but perhaps the best known, particularly as it still exists, is the completion car made by William Ashley Cleave. It started as a crashed Series I saloon in 1937 and Cleave rebuilt it using a 1934 Morris Minor four-speed gearbox and supercharged the 8hp engine with a Centric blower. In the hands of Ashley Cleave and his co-director Charles Burleigh it appeared at many prewar sprints and trials, gaining a substantial number of awards. Since the war it has been extensively modified until today the blue finished aluminium body on small diameter Magna wire wheels hides a 1,250cc supercharged Morris engine which enabled its designer to do a standing quarter-mile in 15. 2 seconds and reach a maximum speed of 115mph. As late as 1972 Ashley Cleave, then aged 72 years, was still competing at Shelsley Walsh with the car.

I'd like to have seen that!!!!

More info here: http://willowby.co.uk/morris.htm

Last edited by Alan Raine; 19 May 2006 at 16:01.