View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3085488)   #32
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
I'll throw this out there and see what sticks...

Would requiring factory teams to sell cars to privateers help the situation or hurt?

Arguably the best era of Group C was the Porsche 956/962 years, where a team could buy one and be somewhat competitive out of the box.

I also wonder how this can work as a business model in LMP1 while it seems to be the norm in GT.

Back then, there were of course a bunch of places teams could and did run Group C cars - just from the top of my head, you could race a Porsche 962 in WSC, German Supercup, Interserie, All-Japanese-Sportscar Championship and with the approbriate modifications in IMSA GTP - that's quite a market and akin to what we have today for GT3 cars.

Meanwhile, GTE as far as customer cars are concerned is running into the same problems as prototypes: With only a rather finite number of places to run them, customer programs sell less and less cars and commercial viability must be a concern by now.

In short: For the customer sport program to work in a LMP1 environment you'd need more than 2 series to race these cars in.