View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2022, 08:49 (Ref:4118397)   #1691
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Unfortunately it brought into focus though another part failing, that being the roll structure.

I believe that the Alfa Romeo doesn't use a "triangular" structure but a single column style (which other teams have used) and it's this which appears to have failed. I honestly don't know if the triangular design would have made any difference to the crash.
I think we have to be a little bit cautious to refer to the roll blade as having 'failed'.

It is clear from imagery that the blade did not remain attached to the car during the entire incident. But - unless more has been identified - I think it is unclear if the roll blade protected the driver during the initial roll-over impact, and then it became detached during the 'slide'.

Fully support the idea that the use (and type) needs to be reviewed. But it might be that it performed beyond the intended design, and it is the criteria that is wrong, not a 'failure' of the item.