View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2000, 10:16 (Ref:7849)   #9
torana
Rookie

torana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Chris
Thank you for your reply. he biggest problem tht we have is that thewre has never been much agreement between Victoria and New South Wales since the landing of the first fleet in 1788. Seriously though we are in agreement that something needs to be done WRT to the sponsorship on our race cars. The biggest problem is with the Historic car comission who are a string back glove brigade , in that it all has to be considered as "Amateur Motorsport" if it is to be historic. They are still to move into the new century. It also seems to be that some elements have adopted the divide and rule/conquer mentality. In that if we can destabilise either the NSW or Vic club then nothing will happen beacause we have them fighting amongst themselves. Now that we have a national body, be it in its infancy, we are rapidly getting to the stage where we are less likely to be destabilised from infighting.

The Victorian chapter of the touring car fraternity is titled the "Historic Touring Car Asociation Of Vic. inc". We started life as the Appendix J Assoc of Victoria but recognised with the fore thought of a smart committee that we probably needed to cahange as the Cams were looking at incorporating into the regulations cars fro 1964-72 and probably later the casrs from 1972 -84. these dates are not arbitary but recognise significant dates in the change of touring car regulations. to be right up to date a resolution was passed at the general meeting last Wednesday night to the effect that the committee of the HTCAV was authorised to put pressure ton the Historic Car Commission to change tohe regulations or the category would look at moving out from under the Historic Banner and run as another independant class/category. we dont really want to do this but oif it was to happen there would be serious repercussions at the 3 Historic Race meetings in Victoria. for example Phillip islane Historic has 88 Group N cars out of a total field of approx 280-300 entries,Winton Historic gets 55-60 cars out of 260-270, sandown Historic gets 48 -50 out of 300. take out approx 25-30% of the entries and the promotors cannot afford to run a historic race meeting. That's what it may all come down to eventually. Dollars and bums on seats. i could probably rabbit on for hours but Ive got do get my little girl to bed.

Currently the Vics do not ahve a web site but it is in the planning/ development stage.

Personally I don't know gary but do know of his exploits. I think he will be at phillip island so will have an ale with him.

regards
Peter Sneddon (alias torana) cause thats what I race