Thread: My Tracks
View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2002, 08:09 (Ref:350229)   #51
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tracks

Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Not necessarily. Chicanes can be tremendous corners if done correctly (Imola chicane at Magny-Cours, for example). The ones that suck are the ones that are chucked into the middle of or just before fast corners to make them slower. Chicanes are also a very good way of testing a car's handling and a driver's ability. Tell me you don't enjoy watching JPM, MSchu, or (in the past) Senna attacking a chicane.
I agree that chicanes add quite a challenge to any track,if located at the right part of the track.

Personally,I like the chicane at Suzuka after the very fast 130R left hand corner before the start/fiish straight.

I think it is a real challenge for a driver to successfully pass another car going into that particular chicane because of the 130R corner.It all starts at the Spoon curve,as a driver you exit that corner and are flat out along the straight that leads to the 130R corner and into the chicane.It takes alot of courage to follow a car through the 130R to get close enough to have a chance to pass going into the chicane.A driver would be losing his front end grip due to the bad air from the car in front of him.I think that is a real challenge for any driver.

I think that the circuit revisions to the track at Imola following 1994 are a perfect example of putting chicanes in the wrong place.The chicanes at the very fast Tamburello and Villeneuve corners are completely out of place,I know the FIA had to react,but come on ,lets get over the losses, as sad as they may be, and restore Imola to it's former glory.I can't imagine putting a chicane at a corner named after Gilles Villeneuve.It was once a great track.

Tye

Last edited by Tye; 5 Aug 2002 at 08:10.