View Single Post
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:37 (Ref:3857481)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
2018 and its said to report that the majority of British circuits are still largely I accessable to wheelchair users. For the most part it's down to the use of gravel pathways, grass paddocks and grass bank viewing areas. Hopefully one day budgets will allow improvements to allows disabled race fans and competitors) the same access as able bodied.

From my experiences this year, Rockingham has by far been the most accessable, Silverstone close behind.hardstanding carparks, paddocks, pathways and viewing areas. Excellent restrooms andgerally not needing to plan getting around the place.

Sadly Donington, Snetterton, Cadwell and Thruxton have all been very difficult to traverse around safely. Mallory is 100% impossible to visit and enjoy.

Things are slowly getting better, but it's not quick enough.

That's an interesting comment.

I cannot speak from personal experience of wheelchair use but I do wonder what sort of access you are seeking.

In my opinion Silverstone is a pain for spectators of any sort much of the time and the scale of the place combined with the fences in most parts makes it unpleasant even getting around by car when allowed.

On the other hand Donington allows disabled visitors in around the circuit by car with a number of decent viewing positions, many not constrained by fences, all around the circuit. There is a large raised area at Coppice with a pretty good view of much of the track which is identified primarily as a viewing area for mobility impaired users should they wish to use it.

When in use the central area is also accessible by car via the large tunnel and this also provides a spectator tunnel access to the paddock which has tarmac at the infield end.

Of course the nature of the landscape means that some fairly steep slopes are unavoidable and realistically building tarmac roadways all around the circuit that would withstand the rigours of frequent deployment of heavy plant used in construction work would probably not be economically viable or even sensible.

The same goes for Cadwell. There are limits to what would be possible given the slopes and the circuit layout. However a large section of the circuit - almost all that is accessible by spectators - is accessible by car. Realistically I would doubt that the layout of the land and the steep slopes would be ideal for wheelchair users unless able to undertake most of the movement by car.

I can't comment much about Snetterton as I have only been once just after the major MSV alterations.

I had some reservations about the access and being paddock based did not attempt to get around the whole circuit but what I saw seemed reasonably accessible considering the development work was still quite fresh at the time.

Thruxton is somewhere I have not been since the late 70s but as far as I know the visitor area is quite restricted as it always has been.

Mallory, much like Donington, has vehicular access almost all around the circuit although slightly more restricted in recent times seemingly as part of the work to reduce the noise levels for local residents. That work is likely somewhat budget consuming for a small track with limited use and so restricted earnings potential.

Once again the lay of the land might not be naturally helpful to wheelchair users but the larger viewing areas are nearly all accessible by car and the hairpin has access via the paddock gate entrance.

The paddock is, of course, somewhat restricted for access being in the middle of the track. However if one gets into the paddock there are some pretty good locations available to get close to the track should one wish to and some areas appear to have raised ground to assist the view over the ubiquitous armco.

What would you wish to see that would enhance how you foresee the access being improved?