View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3932749)   #55
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE=midgetman;3932626]That's really unfair. It's 2019 not 1969, no matter how much we wish otherwise.

Surely the problems of today are far more important than the victories of years ago? We can't affect what's happened but we can be interested in and try to influence what's happening.

As for fans only watching F1, I've no real interest in football or rugby but sometimes watch the top international games. Should I be banned from doing so because I don't also read about Dagenham Boadecias playing the Bromham Owl Appreciation Society in the Southern Zone 2 Wednesday League for Left Footed Players? If doesn't make me a bad person.

And your point about "rarely posting in tribute threads" really has echoes of my Woolworths comment earlier on. ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well ,stuff like Shelsley, Prescott , Cadwell, Croft and Mallory still go on most weeks in 2019 but you'd never know ,as Autosport tends now to prefer reports on the Patagonian Pickup series, or another doomed single make series in somewhere you've never heard of to pad out the F1 gossip . .

Watching international ball games doesn't make you a bad person - I am sure you are charm personified - but if that is all you watch I might suggest you are a dilettante (as I am on many things ) and not a real enthusiast of the...umm ...'beautiful game'.

Just look at the letters page in Autosport to see what it has become - 99% about F1 ,and usually at its most trivial.

What made Autosport , at its best, such a great read , was that a GP report would be juxtaposed with the report of the event I went to last weekend . But it was showing sighs of improvement of late ,and I mourn its passing.