Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 3 Oct 2019, 23:34 (Ref:3931804)   #1477
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
This might be a bit tangential to the general line of this discussion but I feel it is related.I know that Pitpass.com isn't always held in high regard in these parts and often for good reason they did publish this article earlier https://www.pitpass.com/65878/Could-...ge-teams-image .It deserves a few moments of your time as it makes it less likely that images of cars will be circulated and that eyeballs will be exposed to the liveries the entrants have chosen to highlight the identities and trade names of the sponsors.The whole purpose of sponsorship is to get the names of the sponsors displayed to the greatest number of people and imposing barriers and costs will tend to limit that exposure.
After reading that article, it became apparent this the same problem that is pervasive on YouTube. You upload the content you own, then YouTube looks for matching videos or audio. Then if they find a match, they let the person who uploaded the offending video what is going on. I think typically any advertisement revenue is redirected to the IP owner.

At least that is how it is supposed to work.

What can happen is that the matching algorithm may not work very well. I uploaded a personal video of an in-car lap (me driving) at the nurburgring a few years ago. Then years later was told I had stolen the content from someone else. As you might expect, two different cars running on the nurburgring in similar lighting conditions might create videos that look the same to an AI system. Or you might have someone who just claims ownership just to see if they can extract payment from those who might not realize they are being scammed. Such as claiming ownership of music that was provided license free in editing software for people to use in their own videos.

I would almost bet money that what has happened in this example is that Motorsports Images has a huge library of images that they have accumulated both by acquisition of other libraries and own their own. But buried in this large library is images that were downloaded directly from teams, just like pitpass did. Motorsports Images think they own exclusive rights to their entire library, but maybe they don't.

Then Motorsports Images uploaded their entire library to ImageRights. ImageRights then searches the web for anything that matches and starts to sends out bills. It becomes a lot of work to prove innocence. And I "think" many of the laws that deal with this effectively assume you are guilty until you can prove your innocence. Or at a minimum, require jumping through hoops to make it go away.

In the end, this is not an F1 problem. This is a pervasive problem across multiple industries.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 3 Oct 2019 at 23:39.